Define Graffiti
An Artist's Critical Blog
Portfolio URL: http://www.wooloo.org/maddocks

Thursday, July 29, 2004

I will quote Fowles, as I will throughout my blog, "by stating baldly what I believe I hope to force you to state baldly to yourself what you believe. I do not expect agreement. If I wanted that I should have written in a very different form and style, and wrapped my pills in the usual sugar coating. I am not, in short, pleading a case."

There is the possibility that there will be an intrusion of textual life into the biological, the more real. The case we plead, or don't, could be judged. There is a danger that the stories we tell ourselves will turn out to be lies, there is the danger an analyst/arbiter can be found to judge from objectivity... But, this does not change our texts, nor should it pre-empt them. The stories we tell ourselves must always stand in contrast to, in conflict with the massive bulk of texts with which we are assaulted. Only from the personal, from Yoga can we begin to create a text that can create a line of conflict, a border where legitimacy is questioned, crises elevated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home